David Owens was born in 1945, a native Oregonian from John Day. He attended Phillips Exeter Academy and Colorado Rocky Mountain School before attending college. In 1967, he entered the U.S. Army and was deployed to Vietnam. He served with the First Air Cavalry Division and received several personal awards. After completing his service, David attended Portland State University and started Lumber Transport, Inc. In 1972 David attended Lewis and Clark College Northwestern School of Law.
David’s law practice encompasses a wide array of areas including civil litigation, real estate, personal injury, domestic relations, estate planning and probate, as well as business and commercial law. David has helped thousands of clients resolve complicated issues and recover thousands of dollars.
David’s philosophy is to serve the client and make a friend. In the over 37 years David has been practicing he is most pleased with his returning clients and prides himself of being considered their “family’s” attorney. David’s education both in the classroom and in life allows him to bring a clear perspective to issues and his experience allows him to recommend the best course of action after weighing all the facts.
Outside of practicing law David enjoys Pinochle, Golf, and spending time with his family and friends.
- Areas of Practice:
- Business & Commercial Law
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Personal Injury -- Defense
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Real Estate Law
- Bar Admissions:
- Oregon, 1975
- Washington, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1977
- U.S. Tax Court, 1981
- Lewis and Clark College Northwestern School of Law, Portland, Oregon,
- Portland State University,
- Representative Cases:
- Murder - "Battered spouse" defense; 5 years probation; no time served, STATE v. P.E.
- Murder - Plea to Manslaughter; 5 years incarceration., STATE v. G.C
- Illegal search & seizure - Involving the Marijuana Task Force and the Portland Police Bureau; Letter from City of Portland prohibiting surveillance of client's retail hydroponics store. Recent violation of the "no surveillance" order resulted in $10,000.00 penalty against Portland Police., STATE v. A.A.
- Child molestation - Plea bargain; Less than 36 months incarceration., STATE v. P. F.
- Child pornography - 90 days incarceration followed by probation., STATE v. J.D.
- Fraud / Theft - No charges; Case dismissed., STATE v. V.M.
- Drug charges / Identity theft - California - Appeared pro hac vice; Minimum sentence., STATE v. M. L.
- Drug charges - Washington County, Oregon; Marijuana grow and distribution to a minor. Plea to lesser felony charge., STATE v. D.P
- Aggravated theft - Embezzlement; Plea bargain allowed Clients to serve time separately to allow one to care for minor children., STATE v. M. & E. T.
- Drug Charges - 3-house marijuana grow; Motion to suppress evidence. Plea to misdemeanor charge - No time served., STATE v. K. J.
- Alleged child abuse - DHS complaint unfounded; Dismissed., DHS v. J. P
- Alleged child abuse - DHS complaint unfounded; Dismissed., DHS v. D. H.
- Domestic relations - Same-sex partner who consents to artificial insemination has parental rights equal to husband who consents to wife's artificial insemination. Established precedent for future proceedings in Oregon and other states, S.S. v. S.K
- Domestic relations - Dissolution of domestic partnership; Prior to changes in Oregon law regarding division of assets. Client allowed to retain exclusive and rare property., A.H. v. G.S
- Divorce - Judgment for client - $167,000.00., M.L v. C.L.
- Personal Injury - Settlement in Client's favor - $275,000.00., G.W. v. S.W.
- Civil litigation - Successful suit against Portland Police for assault of Client., M.F.D v. P.P.B.
- Probate litigation - Client awarded life insurance policy benefits., N.L.K v. W.H.
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Bureau of Police Standards and Training
- Polygraph Advisory Committee
- The Children's Museum
- Former Board Member
- Columbia River Girl Scouts
- Former Board Member
- Former Pack Committee Co-Chair
- Pack 592 Cub Scouts
- Portland Area Business Association
- Oregon Wildlife Conservation Association
- Life Member
- Past Employment Positions:
- David W. Owens & Associates PC, Portland, Oregon, 1975 - Present
- Owens Dickison & Neal, 1986
- Owens & Neal, 1985
- Owens & Hattenhauer, 1980
- Owens, Hanson & Hattenhauer, Partner, 1979
- Private Practice, 1975
- Pro Bono Activities:
- Volunteer, St. Andrews Legal Clinic
- Former Member, Oregon Polygraph Advisory Committee
- Former Board Member, The Children's Museum
- Former Board Member, Columbia River Girl Scouts
- Former Pack Committee Co-Chair, Pack 592 Cub Scouts
- Member since 1993, Portland Area Business Association
- Life Member, Oregon Wildlife Conservation Association