Jump to Navigation

Modification of Custody and Child Support

Portland Child Custody Lawyer

Child Support Modifications - Portland Attorney

When Court Orders No Longer Fit Your Needs

Sometimes family circumstances change. Sometimes a parenting problem brings a needed change to light. Regardless of your situation, the lawyers at Owens, Sneller, Pinzelik & Wood, P.C., Attorneys at Law, can help you petition for modification of child custody, visitation and child support — or help you fight an unfair modification sought by your ex-spouse.

Our Portland, Oregon, law firm is dedicated to helping families move in the right direction by solving legal problems related to child custody and child support. We do this with efficiency and a dedication to excellence that our clients — and other lawyers — recognize.

Child Custody and Visitation Issues

When a parent seeks modification of an existing child custody and visitation order, things can get complex. At Owens, Sneller, Pinzelik & Wood, P.C., Attorneys at Law, we have access to respected experts, including social workers and psychologists who have the ability to conduct custody and visitation studies that demonstrate the best interests of your child.

Moving Out of State: When you or your child's other parent plan to move beyond the distance allowed by an existing divorce order, working with a lawyer is the best way to protect your interests. Courts have continuing jurisdiction over child custody and child support orders, and they must approve any major relocation. Before approving a move, the court will consider factors including how the changed situation will affect visitation, the cost of transportation, and participation of the noncustodial parent in the day-to-day life of the child.

Enforcement of Parenting Time

Sometimes, even when visitation orders are in place, a parent will ignore the parenting time order. Here at Owens, Sneller, Pinzelik & Wood, P.C. we believe each parent is entitled to time with their children. We can help you enforce your parenting time with your children and get the time you deserve.

Child Support in Oregon and Washington

In both Oregon and Washington, parents have an opportunity to have existing child support orders reviewed by the courts every two to three years. Support obligations may be recalculated based on changes to either parent's income.

People who suffer a drastic reduction in income should see a family law attorney as soon as possible about seeking changes to existing child support orders. Working with an attorney early can prevent trouble, such as a charge of delinquent child support, before it happens.

How Much Child Support Am I Going to Pay?

In Oregon and Washington, the courts use a mathematical formula to determine how much a parent is going to pay in support. The parties incomes are entered into a Child Support Calculator to determine how much support is due. The court may deviate from the parties income based on other factors, but the presumed amount is usually followed by the courts.

The court looks at:

  • Number of joint children
  • Number of non-joint children for each parent
  • Spousal support paid and spousal support received
  • Gross monthly income of each party in Oregon and Net monthly income in Washington
  • Social Security and Veteran's benefits received for the benefit of joint children
  • Number of overnight visits each child spends with each parent
  • Cost of providing health insurance for the benefit of joint children
  • Uninsured and recurring medical expenses for joint children that exceed $250 per year
  • Cost of providing child care for the benefit of joint children

While the courts may deviate from the presumptive level of child support, they typically do not. One must show compelling reasons such as the special needs of a child in order to deviate from the child support calculations.

Child support will generally run until the child is 18. A court may order that support be extended to the age of 21 if the child is attending school and making satisfactory academic progress.

Contact Owens, Sneller, Pinzelik & Wood, P.C., Attorneys at Law - Portland Child Custody and Child Support Lawyers

To schedule a confidential consultation about modification of child custody and child support orders or enforcement of parenting time with a lawyer at our Portland law firm, please call us at 503.766.3042 or contact us by e-mail.

Contact us to learn more about our 30 minute initial consultations.

Find out how we can help you:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

attorney spotlight
David W. Owens
David's law practice encompasses a wide array of areas including civil litigation, real estate, personal injury, domestic relations, estate planning and probate, as well as business and commercial law. more
Brook D. Wood
Brook's practice focuses on civil litigation and motions practice, contract drafting, review, and enforcement, and estate planning, probate, and administration. more
John Andrew Pinzelik
John's law practice focuses on personal injury and business litigation, wage claims and bankruptcy law. more
Jodie M. Sneller
Jodie's areas of practice include Domestic Relations and Social Security Disability. more
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Follow us on Facebook